Sunday 18 May 2008

Give a little

About a month or so ago, I read an article in a national newspaper about a very brave young man called Adrian Sudbury, who had been diagnosed with two forms of leukemia, making him a medical first (please read for yourself by visiting http://baldyblog.freshblogs.co.uk/).

Since then, I have been an avid follower of his blog, liking his natural and very inspirational style. A few days ago, he discovered that his bone marrow transplant has not worked and he has in his own words suffered a RE E E LAPSE. He has chosen to end all treatment and spend whatever time he has left with his family. He however has a mission and that is to get as many people as possible onto the national bone marrow register. I have been on the Anthony Nolan Trust register (http://www.anthonynolan.org.uk/) for the past ten years although I am yet to receive a call. I registered when I was working as a scientist at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children as a result of a plea for BME donors for a patient called Daniel De Gale. A couple of years ago, I met Daniel's mother at another bone marrow donor drive and she told me that Daniel was in remission and was about to go to university. She also checked to see if I was still on the register and indeed I was.

My plea is for more people to step forward and register. If a total needle phobic wuss like me can volunteer so can anyone. I pray that Adrian will recover and I hope that one day, scientists will find a cure for all forms of cancer.

On the 8th of May I was at the launch of Rachel Elnaugh's new book called Business Nightmares. It's one of the best business books I have read this year and I am now reading through it for the second time. She has shown tremendous strength of character by demonstrating dignity under fire and recovering from an enormous set back in her business life. I urge anyone in business or wishing to start a business to read this book.

We will continue with the A to Z of Wedding Cakes series next week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, most people don't realize the impact they can easily have on others lives. I am timid around needles BUT i use Emla cream. It numbs the skin before the injection and you cant feel a thing! www.ihateneedles.co.uk
There is the site, thinking about joining the contest to win the safari, now if only i could get over my Camera-phobia!