Tuesday 18 March 2008

Flashdance...............................

First, when there's nothing but a slow glowing dream
That your fear seems to hide deep inside your mind..............................................

Ever since I saw the movie Flashdance many moons ago, I have harboured secret ambitions to overcome my shyness and strut my stuff on stage. Alas, I grew into adulthood, became somewhat responsible and that was the end of that dream.

Until I met a fabulous dance teacher called Tara (http://www.funkydance.co.uk/) who taught what she called 'Funky Dance'. After months of classes and rehearsals, a mixed group of us which included children, girls, and ladies of a certain age like me, performed in front of a paying audience of three hundred and five hundred in the first and second shows on Saturday the 16th March.

It was both the most terrifying and exhilarating thing I have ever done and my family and friends were very pleasantly surprised at how good and professional we were. So a big thank you to Tara, her husband Piers who helped with the music, lightning and stage effects and most of all to all the brave ladies who felt the fear and danced anyway!

Now what does all this have to do with cakes, you might ask. Well pushing oneself to do something different and totally unexpected is risky but definitely worth it even if one falls flat on one's face! At Elizabeth's Emporium, we try to do something different from the norm in our own way and hopefully it pays off in the end!

No comments: